13 June 2012

My 1st reader question - re: sunspots

I sometimes get asked about my recommendations for things beauty related.  Hence, the reason I started this blog.  I recently had a reader email me with a question regarding sun spots on her skin.


So I was at the spa last night and I was talking to the girl there about facials and I told her I wasn't happy with my skin. So we chatted some and I told her that what I wasn't happy about the uneven tone my skin has. It seems like it kind of started when I came off the pill, but maybe I am just noticing it now. Anyway, she told me that while a facial would probably feel good, what I really would want is a chemical peel to try and get rid of the spots and the sun damage and even my skin tone out.  She said the peel would be done in 6 treatments, once a month, for 30-45 minutes each and they send you home with their products to use so that you can get the best results.  So, since you are my contact for all things fabulous and beautiful, what are you thoughts on a chemical peel? Have you ever had it done?

I think that chemical peels can be a great solution for some people, but they aren't an option for me due to my sensitive skin.  So here was my response.


I personally have never had a chemical peel because I have sensitive skin, but yes they can even your skin tone.  They can be a bit scary though for sure.  If you do get one I recommend doing it on a Friday night when you have nothing going on for the weekend, so your skin can adjust a bit before you need to see people. 


The pigmentation can be one of 3 things... a sun spot, age spot, or liver spot.  BTW changes in estrogen levels are well known to cause dark spots.  So it probably did start when you got off the pill.  


Before signing up for any treatments that may be expensive I would see a dermatologist.  They can tell you if a topical product (like Clinique Dark Spot Corrector), chemical peel (like a glycol peel), or laser would be best to remove the pigments you are seeing.  If I could afford it I would do laser.  I did it once (at a dermatologist) to zap away a zit and take all the little red lines around my nostrils and blotches off my face and it was super amazing.  It was expensive though, so I only did it that once.  I'm not completely sure of the laser type that was used, but my face was only red for a few hours after... it didn't peel all off like some lasers cause.    


Once you correct the pigmentation problems, you will need to maintain those results. The big thing to do is to use sunscreen everyday.  I personally use a Beauty Balm Cream (which is like a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen) instead of a foundation.  My favorite one right now is made by MAC (Prep and Prime BB Cream), but it doesn't come in multiple shades like some do so it might not work for you. I also am obsessed with COR's silver soap.  It took all the red out of my skin tone after using it once a day for about a week.  It is expensive, so I recommend starting with the sample size bar for $12 and seeing if you like it.  That bar can last about 2 months if you don't keep it someplace humid (like the shower). Also, don't forget to exfoliate once a week (but skip this while you are getting laser or chemical treatments).  Everyone loves St. Ives apricot scrub for the exfoliating.   

I also recommend Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum.  Glamour magazine recomends it and it is one of Sephora's best selling items of all time.  Remember that prevention is really the key, but in this day and age there are so many options for correction out there too.  So get out there and find the eraser for you!         

No comments:

Post a Comment