05 December 2011

Pretty Nails are a Must for Sparkly Girls

My personal opinion is that a female's nails should always be painted.  Having a painted nail is almost an automatic accessory that takes very little effort (but yes some time).

That being said... I'm one of the worst offenders at letting my nails get way too chipped before replacing the color.  Lucky for me, a nail painting technique called gels recently was developed.  Gel manicures are actually a polymer resin that is cured under a UV light (I recommend bringing sun screen in your purse to use after your manicure before they apply the gel).  The manicure can cost a bit more at your local salon, but it lasts much longer and thickens your nail slightly.  I recommend the Shellac or the Gelish brands over other brands I've tried.  Each one will last 2-3 weeks so get a color that is versatile or do what I do and get a french that you can hardly notice as it grows out.  Gels are good for people trying to grow their nails or people that may be working with their hands a lot.  The gels can be removed for a small fee in the salon or you can do it at home.

To remove gel manicured nails:

  • soak a cotton ball in 100% acetone
  • place the cotton ball on top of your nail
  • wrap the end of your finger in a small square of aluminum foil
  • wait 15 minutes 
  • remove the foil and cotton
  • scrape the remaining gel with an orange stick
  • wash your hands and apply some lotion  

If you don't have the extra time or money for a gel manicure you can give yourself a great manicure at home.  I recommend a basic color like mauve star (number 340) from L'Oreal Paris that you can wear with many different color outfits and not clash.

(like my stocking in the background?)

How to do an at Home Manicure:

  • wash and scrub your hands
  • cut your nails to the desired length and file the edges until smooth (go in only one direction when you file)
  • DO NOT cut your cuticles.  If they bother you, then push them back with an orange stick
  • take a square sponge file (these are less abrasive than the ones used to shape your nail) and lightly rub your nail
  • apply a base coat (I love Prolana Nail Optimizer, it leaves a slightly tacky nail which is great for the polish to adhere to)
  • apply one thin coat of your polish and let it dry (almost completely, 10 minutes minimum)   
  • apply a second coat and let it dry (again at least 10 minutes)
  • don't worry about any that gets on your skin, when the polish is completely dry (when you smell your hands you don't smell any polish and the nails aren't tacky when touched lightly back to back) it will wash right off any spots that accidently got on your skin
  • apply a thick layer of top coat (I like Orly Sec N Dry)
  • swipe the top coat over the top/front edge of your nail to seal in the color (as the color dries it shrinks and you can get a bare spot at the edge of your nail)
Stay tuned and I'll show you a tip on extending your manicure.  Mine is going on a week and a half so it is the perfect time to apply my tip, take a photo, and share with you soon.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh... should have on some blingy rings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one habit that I have let slip completely post baby. I'm adding "keeping up with my nails" to my list of New Year's resolutions. And bookmarking this entry. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete