27 March 2012

Sometimes the good old way is the best way

I have VERY sensitive skin and my lower legs tend to get very dry and scratchy in the winter (well in the summer too now that I think about it).  I've scratched my legs to the point of making them bleed.  Once I saw an allergist that had me stop using all products on my legs... and yes, while that made the itching stop, it simply wasn't practical to not shave or wash my legs.  So I started using products meant for sensitive skin and sort of had the situation under control.  I still had moments of absolute agony when I couldn't stop scratching my legs though.

Until one day while I was browsing one of my favorite food blogs (the Pioneer Woman from the new Food Network show) I noticed the blogger had an entry on their "home and garden" section titled "Cure for Itchy Legs".  I don't normally read that section, but the title immediately got my attention, as I had been struggling with that for years.  As I read the post I realized she was describing exactly what I go through with my legs, word for word.  Her advice that worked for her "friend" was to stop using those razors with the moisture strips and fancy shaving creams.

I couldn't bring myself to use a 1-blade disposable Bic like she suggested.  However, I did purchase a bottle of Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (to use as a shaving cream substitute) and the Venus disposable razors from Target.



After using this combination to shave my legs I immediately noticed the itchy skin was gone after 2 weeks.  I still get very dry skin and use baby lotion or the Cetaphil lotion frequently, but the difference in my skin is amazing.

You can use a disposable razor more than once, but I suggest no more than 3-4 times.  Also, don't store it in the shower where it is more susceptible to bacteria and rust.  

If you think about how long your "re-usable" razor has been in your shower, you may just want to switch to disposables because it offers a visual reminder that you aren't supposed to use it too long.  Even though re-usable razors are manufactured with higher quality metals that prevent divots to harbor bacteria and corrosion for rust, most people use them too long to entirely prevent those issues.  

So if you suffer from the crazy non stop itchies .... do yourself a favor and try disposables and Cetaphil.       

No comments:

Post a Comment