21 February 2012

A little too much? I say when it comes to makeup, NEVER!



I'm baffled to find out many woman have only one type of mascara.  To me that is like only having one pair of shoes!  You need different types of mascara to wear on different occasions.

As you can imagine from the picture below these mascara formulas and wands create completely different looks.



For me the Rimmel London Scandal Eyes (to the left) can be worn everyday, but for most people the full look it creates would be reserved for special nights out.  The Maybelline Lash Discovery Minibrush Mascara (to the right) is typically worn on lazy Sundays when I don't want to look completely disheveled, but I manage to look put together without appearing to have makeup (or a long morning routine).

I think it is important to have at least 3 mascaras;
1) one perfect for everyday... something like Maybelline Full n Soft Mascara
2) a special mascara that creates a full look for a night out on the town or a wedding... something like Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Mascara (seen above)
3) a waterproof version of your everyday mascara... I like Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara (this is also one of the best selling mascaras every year)

The waterproof mascara is for any occasion where your makeup may get wet or even melt/rub away.  Weddings, sleepovers (where you aren't bringing makeup to refresh in the morning), hot summer days, skiing, etc. are all days you should switch to a waterproof formula.  I've even read somewhere that many celebrities layer their favorite mascara with the waterproof version for a more full look.

Tips:

  • When your mascara is all used up clean the wand with makeup remover and use it to comb your brows or as a lash separator.
  • Don't use friend's mascara or try on mascara at a department store.  Your eyes are one of the easiest places for infection to enter your body and the wands can be full of germs.  
  • Don't pump the wand in and out of the tube.  This just introduces air that will dry out the formula before you can use it up.
  • Mascara is one of the few beauty products you really don't need to splurge on to get a fantastic find.  IF you do want to spend a bit extra find a Lancome one you like, if not try out Maybelline.
  • Curl your lashes either before you apply mascara or once it is dry (I prefer before application).  If you want you can blast the curler for 3 seconds with your hair dryer for maximum effect (just be sure to touch the curler with your fingers first to assure it isn't too hot).           

4 comments:

  1. Ack! I only have one kind of mascara! Is this horrifying? Is it like the time my friends discovered I only had one purse?! :)

    I'll think about a second, but I tend to just stick with one mascara. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be ok if you only prefer one look all the time. I like a more dramatic look for nights out and a casual one for other times. You should look into a waterproof version of what you like though. You can use it when useful to have waterproof or just layer the two.

      Delete
  2. You know I have to weigh in on the mascara blog right?! I have two favorites that I would recommend trying, a cheap or expensive alternative. I recommend L'Oreal's Telescopic for everyday use. Great extension and the brush does not create clumps (my personal peeve!). My "night out" mascara of choice is Dior Show Iconic. Large brush which creates great volume without clumping as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Jillian highly recommends Dior Show as well. I'll have to check it out!!

      Delete