09 January 2012

Hydrate yourself this winter

Everyone gets dry skin in the winter.  The BEST moisturizer that you can use is something slightly unexpected.  It is called Hyaluronic Acid (or Hyaluronan) otherwise known as HA.  Don't be freaked out by the name, I promise you it feels like nothing when you put it on (not at all like an acid).

 
Hyaluronic acid is naturally present in the human body (as a carbohydrate -  look at that a good carb!).  It is well known as "nature's moisturizer".  HA can be found in your eyes and joints and is a major component of your skin.  The skin gets depleted of HA when exposed to UVB sun rays.

HA is used in the biopharmaceutical industry (where I work!!) and the FDA has approved the use of HA for use in various eye surgeries.  Restylane and Juvederm (you have probably heard of those) are common trade names for forms of HA used as wrinkle fillers.  Lucky for us HA can be purchased over the counter and applied topically as a moisturizer.  Some xerosis ointments contain HA as well.

The liquid itself has no scent and feel like a moist gel when applied.  Put a small amount in your palms and you can apply it to your clean face before bed at night.  Or just rub a small amount on your hands whenever they are feeling dry.  It is also awesome on minor burns... I recommend following up any burns with Vaseline too (more on how much I love Vaseline in another post)

I bought mine at Amazon, but you can find it at high end makeup stores/counters and almost anywhere on line.  Make sure you buy 100% because it is available and why settle for less!?!

You are going to love this stuff, just like I and Lauren Conrad's makeup artist do!!

  

1 comment:

  1. I tried it when Ronja came to Florida. It feels fantastic! I want to get some. I will break down and spend my money, I will!

    ReplyDelete